Renewable energy project finance
Financing a sustainable future
Commerzbank finances solar and (on- and offshore) wind farms developed by project developers and operated by them or by institutional investors, utilities, and private investors. The bank has been a tier-1 bank for offshore wind farm project financing for many years and, over the past years, has supported more than 15 offshore wind farms in Germany, France, Belgium, Great Britain and Taiwan, including mandated lead arranger and hedging bank mandates. Our services range from financing for individual solar and wind farms up to project portfolio financing on a holding company level, for example in the United States.
Our core business also includes financing structures involving export credit agencies such as Hermes and EKF, or development banks (e.g. EBRD) to mitigate merchant and political risks.
Together with our clients, we develop bespoke financing tenors and lending structures: from pure construction phase loans (short-term financing during construction) to mini-perm financing structures and long-term project financings, depending on project specifics.
Our project financing services for the renewable energy industry
- Review of requests as to financial feasibility and bankability of projects
- Identification of potential financing sources in addition to standard bank loans (e.g. export credit agencies, development banks or other promotional banks)
- Role as mandated lead arranger in club deals and syndicated loans/syndications
- Cash flow modelling and scenario simulations
- Review of due diligence reports
- Preparation of loan documentation